Monday 21 April 2008

Day Two - Road trip in a Mustang & Jumping out of a perfectly good aeroplane




My first morning in the United States of America after a peaceful night with cats moving in and out of the bedroom, a limited breakfast of Frank's attempt to make toast (or warm bread as it would be known in England), I've been outside to enjoy the beautiful view over Lake Carmel from Diane & Frank's front door and had my morning constitutional. We're sat in the living room with some random US television station informing me that I am (a) too fat (b) too poor (c) too bald (d) need to remedy all the previous by sending $150.00 now and all my troubles will be over...

"Do you want to do a skydive today?"

OK, a random question from Miss Johnson but one that nonetheless needs answering. Of course, Frank is sat across from me so I am not going to wimp out and let the English side down - don't want these Colonials to think we former Imperial owners of the World are a bunch of Limey cowards. So I said, very coolly, "Why not?"

Why not? WHY NOT? I'm going to jump out of a perfectly good aeroplane at 10,000+ feet? WHY NOT? I could think of a millions reasons why not... but I'm not going to let Diane down. Ever. So we booked it, Skydive The Ranch in Gardiner upstate NY. Got the directions from Google and jumped into Frank's new Mustang, roof down & sun shining and proceeded to get completely lost. But we found it.

The package for 2 jumps and 1 video & photographs was very reasonable considering you were put your life in their hands.


My tandem jumper was "Batman" and he was brilliant, putting me at ease, explaining exactly what was going to happen, what I was going to experience, how I should feel traveling at 9.81m/s/s to a terminal velocity of 120mph - whilst all the time feeling like I was just hanging in space. The prep work seemed to take forever and I could feel the adrenaline beginning to pump and my fear factor increasing with each passing minute... but there was Diane, looking cool, calm and extremely pleased with her ex-Russian Spetsnaz paratrooper barking orders at her.

Climbing into the plane - something that Biggles should be flying in WWI - and being joined by Ygor the cameraman and two students who were completing their training courses I was beginning to feel slightly concerned that this wasn't best most intelligent things I had ever done. However... the day was beautiful with no a cloud in the sky, the view from the plane was amazing and the Hudson river below us looked so small. I kept going through the routine I had to remember when we went out on to the running board; hold on to the harness, remember to count, remember to smile for the camera (as if I could), remember that I will be in the safest place possible with a parachute strapped to me...

Then the call.... 13,500ft ; 4,500 yards; 2 & a half miles... OH BUGGER!

Within 30 seconds Diane & her bulky compatriot fell out of the airplane and then Batman was was shuffling towards the door. I was at the door looking down to the ground over 2 miles below me. Arch your back, throw out your hips, arch your back, through out your hips, arch your back, throw out your hips, smile for the camera & enjoy the ride of your life. I can't do this, I can't do this, I can't do th...

Wow... 9.81m/s/s hitting 120mph & no perspective... free fall. The time of your life.

I can't put into words the rush that falling into nothing gives you, the adrenaline is pumping, the rush of the air, the fact that you are falling and flying at the same time. The fact that Ygor was lying on his back taking the photos & video in free fall. Very cool.

Then it was over and the parachute deployed and I was able to take in the amazing views at 6,000 ft - we had fallen 7,500 ft in about a minute. The noise of the air rushing past stopped and everything became calm. Batman pointed out the landmarks, asked me how I was, showed me a few tricks with the parachute and allowed me to take everything in.


When we landed I felt on top of the world. It really was a life changing experience. I was exhilarated and exhausted at the same time. My legs felt like jelly but I wanted to do it all over again.

The full images can bee found here on my Flickr account.

My thanks to all at the skydiving school and especially to Diane for making me do it...

... and this was only my first full day.




No comments: