Wednesday 23 January 2008

T minus 88 Days & Counting


I am becoming obsessed with watching the currency markets and the state of the US Economy, trying to work out how the fluctuations in the value of the dollar against the pound will work to my advantage. Will the dollar fall to the mythical value of £0.50 effectively doubling my money? Will there be a dramatic recovery in the economy in the two and a bit months before I go which will mean that the pound drops like a stone? Will I be taking enough disposal cash to cover my stay?

Then the anxiety kicks in and I being to wonder if I will have enough money to spend and buy presents. All the people who have been to NYC keep telling me how cheap clothes and electrical goods are to buy in comparison to the UK, why I should only take a few clothes with me initially and buy the rest over there... although I do fancy a nice pair of Timberland Boots. Something a bit sturdier than the training shoes I normally wear but not as robust as my hiking boots, I'm looking for a happy medium. But that's it, what do I do?

... here's my latest predicament: Luggage;

I need at least two pieces of luggage to take with me, one carry on (which should also be able to handle my MacBook on the way there and my MacBook Air on the way back!) and then my clothes luggage case. I am only going for 10 days so I should not need to take my whole wardrobe with me - not that I have that many clothes - and I am judging what I'm going to take on the weather reports I am receiving from Diane every so often. If the weather warms up then I don't need to take my big coats - just my jackets will do. I'm tempted to buy a businessman's style carry-on bag I saw in PC World and then try to match up my main case to it. I do know that I need something robust and I cannot scrimp on the cost, having seen what can happen to suitcases in the baggage handling section (Die Hard II anyone?).

Am I being sad? Not only am I updating my Blog in work time but i am also searching the net for suitable luggage and accessories. Antler luggage looks good and has the carry-on case I want although it seems a tad expensive for me, do I go the whole hog and buy Louis Vuitton luggage at £1,100.00 for a carry-on case? Actually, I don't think so. It looks extremely vulgar to me and I would probably have some idiot come over to me at claim that the bag is a fake, I wouldn't want to cause a scene in the airport.

Speaking of which I'd better remember to change my SMS alert tone on my mobile. I don't think it would go down too well with airport security if I get a text message and Gene Hunt shouts "Drop your weapons! You are surrounded by armed bastards!" That may just be a one way trip to the anti-terrorist arrivals lounge courtesy of MI5 & New Scotland Yard. Is there a de rigueur for text message alerts in the USA? I understand now that SMS has caught on over there, although in a country of 250 million plus there are less mobile telephones per head of population that in the UK and we still send more SMS each year. I remember Daine's mobile (cell) phone she used a couple of years ago - it was about 9 years out of date in the UK with digital watch style display and no facility to SMS. It was a brick too. But what is acceptable as a tone for the SMS? I have a few of at the moment that I mix and match according to my moods but they can be broken down as follows:
  • R2D2
  • Tyrannosaurus Rex from Jurassic Park
  • Velocoraptor from Jurassic Park
  • Homer Simpson
  • Marilyn Monroe
  • Gene Hunt from Life on Mars

I know the BBC America shows Life on Mars but will the Gene Genie be acceptable saying "A course in applied bollocks" or "Supa Dupa" or even "You great, soft, sissy, girlie, nancy, French, bender, Man United supporting puff.", these are the questions that need asking. I think I'll arrange for someone to text me when I am in the lift going up the Empire State Building, see what reaction I get.

Anyway, I'm rambling again. Better get back to doing some work. Where's the number for Louis Vuitton...

No comments: